Ok, so my Chihuahua is almost 3 years old. When she was a puppy she was nice and not afraid of anyone. But lately every time we have a visitor at the house she growls, barks, and sometimes tries to bite. I have always had her around other people, so she has been socialized and has never been treated badly by a visitor. How do I get her to stop this behavior? (and hitting or spanking her is not an option)
Your dog has small dog syndrome.
This means when small dogs think of themselves as the leaders or pack and yap a lot and bite.
1. If your dog sleeps in the bed with you, this makes the dog feel better than the most as the Alpha sleeps in the best place so if your dog is sleeping on a pillow then big No No your dog should be on the feet side.
2. Teach your dog to walk at proper heel. Do not carry your dog , this makes the dog think there Alpha again.
3. Nothing in life is free. Have your dog work for food, rewards and especially affection , Alpha’s get affection all the time no matter if they had done something wrong.
4. Do not tolerate bad dog behavior because your dog is small. Consistently enforce all your commands.
How to be Alpha?
1. The number one way to communicate to a dog that you are his pack leader is to take him for a walk. Not the type of walk most humans take their dogs on but a pack walk, where the dog is made to heel beside or behind the human who is holding the lead. This is most important for all dogs, as in a dog’s mind, the leader always leads the way. A dog must not be allowed to sniff or eliminate anywhere he wishes, but where you allow him. One marking against a tree is enough for male dogs. The dog should be concentrating on following the human, not worrying about leading the way. This pack-type walk should be done daily. Not only will this release built-up energy, but it will satisfy the dog’s instinct to migrate which all dogs possess. Dogs that have excess energy bottled up inside them and that do not have their migration instinct met will develop various instability issues that most people mistake for being breed traits.
2. All humans must eat before the dogs, as the leader always eats first. When you give your dog its food eat a small snack first while he is watching, lay the snack near the dog’s food so that he thinks you are eating out of his bowl (the leader always eats first).
3. No table scraps should be fed to the dogs during a meal.
4. Feedings must be at a scheduled time. (No self-feeding dog food dispensers should be used, as this allows the dog to choose when he eats.)
READ MORE : http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/topdogrules.htm
Hope this helps teach your little Chihuahua that you are the one with the pants